Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Indian dreaming .....





I have a passion for India, even though I've never visited her. When I was a small child, if she had need to, my mother would leave me in the care of our neighbour, a Mrs Agarwal. Mrs Agarwal's husband worked with my father at the Jenny Lind Hospital for Sick Children in Norwich and I was great friends with her children.

Mrs Agarwal taught me how to speak Hindi. She would speak to me and I would answer, all in this foreign tongue. I was a blonde curly-haired Shirley Temple lookalike who spoke Hindi with an English accent, and my parents were always amused by my unusual bilingualism. Never had anyone seen a stranger Indian than me!

Ever since then I've had a deep-seated love of Indian culture. I'd love to visit this vibrant country one day, when I have the time to see it properly. Since I first read MM Kaye's 'Death in Kashmir' I've always fancied an Indian honeymoon :-D I've not got the guy but the dream prevails ....

The above photos show two of the Oberoi Hotels, the Rajvilas in Jaipur and the Udaivilas in Udaipur. My parents have stayed at both these hotels. They're living my dream for me (lucky them :-D). The Rajvilas includes luxury tents as well as private villas and suites. The Udaivilas has the extraordinary pool and breathtaking views over Lake Pichola.

Both are small hotels (fewer than 100 rooms) which means more privacy and more staff per guest to make your stay unforgettable.

I'm sure Mrs Agarwal would approve :-D

No comments: